Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 52 - Bonavista, Newfoundland

It is Saturday, July 21st and a travel day to Bonavista – l88 miles.  The sun is shining so it made for an easy day, but it was quite windy.  Actually we’ve had a lot of wind in the Maritimes especially the closer we get to the ocean.


Just a few pictures while  driving here.  We just never knew what we would see going over a hill or around a bend.

As soon as we got setup at our campground, Bruce and I headed into town to find a café with Wifi so I could do yesterday’s blog.  It was a very nice place and Neil, the owner, was super – even gave us samples of some homemade bread.  Then he was making Carrot – Ginger Soup.  Oh boy did it ever smell good; however, he didn’t have any at the time for us to have – darn.  I’ll be stopping there tomorrow sometimes to do this blog so I’ll see what he will be making then. 



We drove along the coast on the way to a Puffin Festival and the coastline is just awesome.  I took over 200 pictures – don’t worry, you will only be seeing a small sample.  The Puffins have their homes on the rocks.  They are such a pretty bird with very colorful beaks.  One had to show off and spread his wings – too cool!



I have no words for the beauty of the area, rocks, water, waves, birds, etc.  Breathtaking!!!


Fran, Gordon, Wayne, Roni, Ruth & Wendy

Bruce spotted a whale and fortunately – shear luck – I was able to get a picture.  I didn’t realize until I downloaded the pictures that I actually had the whale not just the spout – cool!!!  We thought we saw a seal but it was actually an otter.  We just had to sit for a bit to take in all the beauty.  The baby was a seagull.  There were actually two babies.



A few more pictures.  I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to have this view everyday like the people living on the coastline.  The houses are pretty much all the same style.


After we spent an hour or so at the Festival – small town affair, we drove back to the Bay and walked along and took a few more pictures.  The water seemed a little calmer.  I have Fran taking a picture and enjoying the sights.  The sun was setting so it was a great time to take a few pictures of the sunset.  I just about made the sunset my picture of the day but Bruce said, I've done that already.



Picture of the Day!

This Puffin was waiting for a Photo Op!

It was another beautiful day for us.  Everyone said we would be pleased with New Foundland and they were right.  Anxious to see more another day.  Hope your enjoying the view from your front door as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment