Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 24 - Cap-Aux-Os, QC

It is Saturday, June 23 and a very dreary day.  During our 200 mile drive today we had very little sun - mostly rain, fog, and mist.  Our drive today was along the coast with a view of the St. Lawrence River most of the way then that changed into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. We drove through a lot of seaside villages along the way, saw a lot of churches, colorful houses and lighthouses.  We are now in the territory of Gaspe', birthplace of Canada.  The history of Gaspe' dates back more than four centuries to the arrival of French explorer Jacques Cartier. 




I'm sorry but I just can't quite taking pictures of houses.  For example, look at the bottom left house - is that obnoxious or what??  I personally like the little one in the top left corner.  It sits right on the beach - even has a pool.  Top right is a black house.  Who would think of having a black house?  It is followed by small colored houses that are rented out.  Below that is a mustard color one.  Let me  tell you, there isn't a color that hasn't been used on a house in this area. 



These are only four of many that we saw today and some we didn't see that were suppose to be out there somewhere.  Some of very well kept up whereas others, like the bottom left one, is not.  Could definitely use a paint job.  Along the entire coast are many many lighthouses and I'm sure, as we drive along, I'll keep taking pictures.  While looking out at the coast, we saw our first whales.  Yeah!!!  We were so excited - not like we've never seen them before.  I think we are suppose to be seeing a lot more of them on this trip. 


We were told about a wind farm so we thought we would take a tour; however, the guide only spoke French and we would have to wait over half an hour for an English speaking guide.  Then the tour, driving in our RV, would take 1 1/2 hours.  At that point, we opted not to wait around.  I do hope one day we can take a tour of sorts to learn how these turbines work.  You are looking at Eole, the tallest vertical-axis wind turbine.  It is part of the first wind farm in Canada.  While I was waiting, I noticed some flowers so thought I would get more pix.  Flowers love it in this part of the world.  We also drove past a waterfall on the side of the road.


Picture of the Day - Beautiful multi-colored Iris!

It was a long drive today because of the changing weather conditions and winding roads.  A lot of hills with up to 15% downgrades and, of course, going through towns,  the speed limits changed every couple miles. We did make it to our campground before dark and just in time for Happy Hour.

I want to wish My Sister, MaryAnn, a very Happy Birthday tomorrow.  I'm so sorry we can't celebrate together but you will be in my thoughts.  I'll raise a glass of cheer in your honor.  Love You Sis!! 
                                             Bonsoir (Good Evening)  to my friends and family!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment